In this episode I interview two professional simulated patients who provide a unique insight into the use of simulated patients in high stakes exams. Steph and Cecilia have been working for universities and specialty colleges as simulated patients in OSCE-style exams for several years and in this very relaxed and fun interview they give us a great insight into working well with sim patients in your exams.
We cover topics including:
- What is a simulated patient and why are they used instead of real patients?
- How to make a good impression on the simulated patient
- Tips for communicating effectively with sim patients
- How to avoid upsetting or offending the sim patient
- How to detect and then recover if you inadvertently upset or offend the sim patient
- Subtle signs that you may be heading “off-track” in your OSCE
- Tips for examining a sim patient
- And a whole lot more…
This podcast will be of use to any medical students, specialty trainees, or overseas trained doctors who are going to sit OSCE-style exams with simulated patients.
If you have any tips for working with sim patients, please leave them in the comments section below!